Monday, November 5, 2012

All Souls' Day


On Friday, the Dia de los Muertos, my dad ate a good breakfast and sat down to watch some TV.  Shortly thereafter, without fuss or fanfare, his heart just stopped beating.


We are surprised that the end came so soon; relieved that it came so gently; joyful that his spirit is no longer shackled to that malfunctioning depleted 120-pound body; and of course sad that he really and truly is gone.


And if I am honest, I'm a little nervous, too, because I know that now he probably can see every little grammatical error I make here.  My spelling seems to be going to pot, too (sorry about that misspelled place name I failed to catch in the obituary).


Be kind with thine angelic red pen, Dad, enjoy the pictures, and (fingers crossed) I'll see you in my dreams.


Love always,
Lynnie
xoxoxoxo


I took the first four photos in this post while gathering cypress cones at the cemetery, moments before Dad unexpectedly passed away.  The last photo is of Dad and Big Lad, from New Year's 1999.

19 comments:

Lisa said...

Thinking of you all.
Love and hugs.
Lisa xxxxx

driftwood said...

oh Lynn, sending you all my love xxxx

Ali said...

Oh Lynn, I am so sorry. Keeping you in my thoughts. x

Sue said...

My thoughts are with you Lynn x

Toffeeapple said...

Oh Lynn, I have tears in my eyes now that I have read that. I am so very sad for you all.

Love and hugs to you. xx

Dilys said...

I'm sorry for your loss, and amazed by your touching photos! I lost my mother in July, and yes, several times I have seen her in my dreams. A gentle ending for your father, still a sorrow no matter when it happens; we so want to keep all those we love . . .

dottycookie said...

Oh Lynn, I am so sorry. Will email you - can't find the right words to express my feelings here.

alice c said...

Sending you my love - nothing prepares you for this. I hope that you find comfort in the happy memories.

Mary said...

My dear friend - The loss of a parent is never easy even if you know that they are no longer in pain.

My love to you at this sad time.

Simon Litherland said...

Mom and Dad used to say a little prayer with us at bed time that might help your Dad find his way in that place he is now:

"Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me,
bless thy little lamb tonight;
through the darkness be thou near me,
keep me safe till morning light."

Please give your family a hug and know that your Dad (and your Mom) gave you the power to love them and the people around you. That's about the best thing a Dad could hope for from his kids.

XO

Simon

dragonfly said...

Oh, Lynn, I am so shocked and sorry to read this. Your words are beautiful and need no red pen at all. Sending love to you and yours xxx

The Coffee Lady said...

I'm so sorry Lynn; not that it happened like this, but sorry for your sadness. Do take care; we may be miles away but we are still here for you.

Julia said...

Thinking of you and sending all of our best thoughts.

Barb said...

So simply stated and shared.....so very lovely, Lynn. I am holding you in my heart.

kristina said...

Oh Lynn. I'm so very sorry. Thinking of you. Lots of love, K x

Fiona said...

Oh so sorry to hear Lynn. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad your Dad is now at peace, but still always so hard - the finality of one's passing. Hugs, Fee x

Suse said...

Lyn, I'm so sorry for you. And your mum, and your sister. And your partner and children.

Condolences and love to you all, xxx

silverpebble said...

I am horribly late. I have been thinking of you much. I am thinking of you now all the more. Much love to you xxxxx

Duyvken said...

I'm so sorry, Lynn. Sending you love.